It’s time for the Off the Grid readathon! Shanah from Bionic Bookworm came up with this fantastic quarterly readathon in 2018, and the time has come for our fourth (!!!!) round. We always have such a good time running this readathon and invite you to join us!
Are you like me and always complaining about how you could totally be reading, but keep getting distracted by Twitter, Instagram, Wizards Unite, or everything else on the planet that’s not a book? Well we have a readathon for you.
This is genuinely the most chill readathon ever. There are no challenges, no reading sprints — you don’t even need to participate every single day of the readathon (I was wedding dress shopping during our first one, yikes). The only goal here is to set aside your phone and make some time for reading.
- This readathon will be quarterly, starting on the second weekend of the month. This round will begin on 12 April, then the next rounds will be in July and October.
- We will kick off at 12:00am on Friday 12 July in your time zone and will end at 11:59pm on Sunday night, again in your own time zone! You have three full days to read as much as possible without distraction.
- Come up with your TBR and stick with it as much as you can, but don’t feel bad if you meander (and don’t forget to link us if you post your TBR online)!
- There is really only one rule — stay off your phone as much as possible! The whole point is to stay off the grid and read as much as you can without the distraction of the internet. As there are no sprints or updates during the readathon, there’s no real reason to be checking your phone. However, you can keep track of the amount of time you read and compare it with later readathons, or even post an update when you finish a book (this is what I, social media addict, tend to do).
- You can totally combine this readathon with one of the hundreds of readathons occurring in July! Tackle that TBR!
- Make sure you follow us on Twitter for more details pre-readathon.
Think you will have some trouble keeping away from your phone? Check out Shanah’s initial announcement post for some recommendations on apps that limit your phone time. Make sure you follow the readathon on Twitter and Instagram for more updates. We hope to see you there!